Barrett Warner, "Dimension"
Margaret Osburn, "When Desire Can't Find Its Object"
Gaetan Sgro, "We Are All Snowflakes and Cities"
Sara C. Thomason, "Liberation Day"
Robert Lehrman, "Henry Ware, My Father, and Me"
Michael Bourne, "Stories Are Like Water"
Victor Robert Lee, "Salvage"
Ann Collins, "Ceylon"
Terrance Manning Jr., "Buffalosburgh"
Jenn Chan Lyman, "No. 2 Security"
Jen Fawkes, “Iphigenia in Baltimore”
Rochelle Distelheim, “O, Thou, Whom My Soul Doth Love”
Leland Cheuk, “Funeral by the Arcade”
Lisa Doublestein, “New Leaf”
Colby Halloran, “Only Rain”
Thomas McConnell, “Berlin Train”
Bob Ross, “Dust”
Lynne Butler Oaks, “A Sudden Absence of Sound”
Jenn Chan Lyman, “Two Old Fools”
“Cherry Red Fender” by Steven Wingate
“A Missionary Position” by Mel Wells
“Perfume River” by Jim Fairhall
“The Dome” by Gary Scott
“That Old Time Religion” by Lyle Roebuck
“The Rock and Roll Club” by Dwight Holing
“The Importance of Floating” by Linda Rui Feng
“Midday Sun” by Philip Carter
Hester Kaplan, “The Aerialist”
Kelly Luce, “The Blue Demon of Ikumi”
Michelle Regalado Deatrick, “The Second Coming of the STASSIS Goat”
B. D. Feil, “The Second Baseman”
Erica Plouffe Lazure, “Azimuth and Altitude”
Dwaine Rieves, “Leverage”
Waimea Williams, “What You Find and What You Keep”
Adam Sturtevant, “Before You Hurt Yourself”
J. Bowers, “The Mammoth Horse Waits”
Sam Katz, “When the Pearlmans Celebrated Christmas”
Salamander 2015 Fiction Prize
$1,500 Honorarium and Publication
Final Judge: Andre Dubus III
SUBMIT: May 1 through June 1, 2015
READING FEE: $15
• All entries will be considered for publication. All entries will be considered anonymously.
• Send no more than one story per entry. Each story must not exceed 30 double-spaced pages in 12 point font. Multiple entries are acceptable, provided that a separate reading fee is included with each entry.
• Please submit a two page cover sheet document with each entry, page one with the title of the story ONLY, and page 2 with the title of the story and your name, address, phone number, and email. Your name should NOT appear anywhere on the story itself.
• Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but the contest fee is non-refundable if the submission is withdrawn. Please notify the editors as soon as possible if a submitted story is accepted elsewhere.
• Previously published works and works accepted for publication elsewhere cannot be considered. Salamander’s definition of publishing includes electronic publication.
• No handwritten, faxed, emailed, or poorly copied/printed manuscripts will be considered.
• Salamander will not consider work from anyone currently or recently (within the past 4 years) affiliated with Suffolk University or the prize judge.
• If you wish to be notified of the arrival of your manuscript, please enclose a self-addressed stamped postcard. Manuscripts cannot be returned. Contest results will be posted on www.salamandermag.org.
• Contest reading fee includes a one-year subscription. Checks should be made out to Salamander. We will send your subscription to the address on your cover sheet unless instructed otherwise. Overseas addresses, please add $10 for subscription postage ($5 for addresses in Canada). Please note that we cannot accept money orders or checks from foreign banks.
Andre Dubus III, author of six books, has been the recipient of a Guggenheim Fellowship, The National Magazine Award for Fiction, and a 2012 Academy of Arts and Letters Award in Literature. His novel House of Sand and Fog was a National Book Award finalist, a #1 New York Times Bestseller, and an Academy Award-nominated film. His book Dirty Love, published in 2013, was a New York Times “Notable Book” and a New York Times “Editors’ Choice” selection. His novel The Garden of Last Days is soon to be a major motion picture.
SUBMIT ENTRIES ONLINE OR BY MAIL FROM MAY 1 THROUGH JUNE 1 to:
2015 Fiction Prize
Salamander/Suffolk University English Dept.
8 Ashburton Place
Boston, MA 02108