2022 Fiction Contest Results
"The Other Osama," by Hassaan Mirza
"Good New Teeth," by Mark Doyle
"Driftwood," by Josie Tolin
"Flame Jumps the Gap," by Matthew Gordon
"Inheritance," by Kris Koval
"Jacaranda Bones," by Dale Trumbore
"Last Days at the Orpheum," by Tom Howard
"Out on Lisa," by Hailey Rose Hanks
"Pack Rat, All Will Be Well," by Catherine Gammon
"The Jump Refusal," by Lindsay Clark
2021 Fiction Contest Results
2020 Fiction Contest Results
2019 Fiction Contest Results
2018 Fiction Contest Results
2017 Fiction Contest Results
2016 Fiction Contest Results
2015 Fiction Contest Results
2014 Fiction Contest Results
2013 Fiction Contest Results
2011 Fiction Contest Results
Salamander 2023 Fiction Prize
First Prize: $1,000 and Publication
Second Prize: $500 and Publication
Final Judge: Kirstin Valdez Quade
SUBMIT MAY 1 - JUNE 1
• All entries will be considered for publication. All entries will be considered anonymously.
• Send no more than one story per entry. Each story must not exceed 30 double-spaced pages in 12 point font. Multiple entries are acceptable, provided that a separate reading fee is included with each entry.
Please submit a separate cover sheet with each entry, containing the title of the story and your name, address, phone number, and email. Your name or any other identifying characteristics should not appear anywhere on the story itself.
• Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but the contest fee is non-refundable if the submission is withdrawn. Please notify the editors as soon as possible if a submitted story is accepted elsewhere.
• Previously published works and works accepted for publication elsewhere cannot be considered. Salamander’s definition of publishing includes electronic publication.
• Salamander will not consider work from anyone currently or recently (within the past 4 years) affiliated with Suffolk University or the prize judge.
Contest results will be posted on salamandermag.org by September 1.
• Contest reading fee includes a one-year subscription. We will send your subscription to the address given unless instructed otherwise. If more than one subscription is purchased, additional subscriptions may be gifted to another reader. International addresses will receive a one-year online subscription; those who prefer a print subscription, please add $10 for subscription postage.
DUE TO THE REMOTE WORK CONDITIONS NECESSARY AT THIS TIME, WE ARE ONLY ABLE TO ACCEPT ONLINE SUBMISSIONS IN 2023. We apologize for any inconvenience, and thank you for your understanding.
Kirstin Valdez Quade is the author of The Five Wounds, which was shortlisted for the Center for Fiction’s First Novel Prize and the Carnegie Medal for Excellence, and was longlisted for the Aspen Words Literary Prize. Her story collection, Night at the Fiestas, won the John Leonard Prize from the National Book Critics Circle, the Sue Kaufman Prize for First Fiction from the American Academy of Arts and Letters, a “5 Under 35” award from the National Book Foundation, and was a finalist for the New York Public Library Young Lions Award. It was named a New York Times Notable Book and a best book of 2015 by the San Francisco Chronicle and the American Library Association. Kirstin is the recipient of the John Guare Writer’s Fund Rome Prize from the American Academy in Rome, a Rona Jaffe Foundation Writer’s Award, a grant from the Elizabeth George Foundation, and a Stegner Fellowship at Stanford. Her work has appeared in The New Yorker, The Best American Short Stories, The O. Henry Prize Stories, The New York Times, and elsewhere. She is an assistant professor at Princeton.