Salamander 2014 Fiction Prize
$1,500 Honorarium and Publication
Final Judge: Jennifer Haigh
SUBMIT: Online or by mail from May 15 through June 15, 2014; on-line submission available at end of day on May 15th.
Reading fee: $15.00
- All entries will be considered for publication. All entries will be considered anonymously.
- Send no more than one story per entry. Each story must not exceed 30 double-spaced pages in 12 point font. Multiple entries are acceptable, provided that a separate reading fee is included with each entry.
- Please submit two separate cover sheets with each entry, one with the title of the story only, and the other with the title of the story and your name, address, phone number, and email. Your name should not appear anywhere on the story itself.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but the contest fee is non-refundable if the submission is withdrawn. Please notify the editors as soon as possible if a submitted story is accepted elsewhere.
- Previously published works and works accepted for publication elsewhere cannot be considered. Salamander’s definition of publishing includes electronic publication.
- No handwritten, faxed, emailed, or poorly copied/printed manuscripts will be considered.
- Salamander will not consider work from anyone currently or recently (within the past 4 years) affiliated with Suffolk University or the prize judge.
- If you wish to be notified of the arrival of your manuscript, please enclose a self-addressed stamped postcard. Please also include a self-addressed stamped business-sized envelope for notification of contest results. Manuscripts cannot be returned. Contest results will be posted on salamandermag.org
- Contest reading fee includes a one-year subscription. Checks should be made out to Salamander. We will send your subscription to the address on your cover sheet unless instructed otherwise. Overseas addresses, please add $10 for subscription postage ($5 for addresses in Canada). Please note that we cannot accept money orders or checks from foreign banks.
- Online contest submissions and payment will be available starting May 15.
Jennifer Haigh is the author of the short story collection News From Heaven and four critically acclaimed novels: Faith, The Condition, Baker Towers and Mrs. Kimble. Her books have won both the PEN/Hemingway Award (for debut fiction) and the PEN/L.L. Winship award (for outstanding book by a New England author), and have been published in nineteen languages. Her short stories have been published widely, in the Atlantic, Ploughshares, The Best American Short Stories and many other places. She lives in Boston.